When you spend a good deal of money on buying an air compressor, then it is your responsibility to make sure that you take proper care of it. The air compressor is a very handy and beneficial tool and if you want it to work for a long time, you need to keep its parts working properly as well. A leaking tank can cause a great deal of damage to the machine and also reduce its efficiency. This article will provide you with some guidelines on how to fix a leaky air compressor tank.
What are the advantages of a 60-gallon air compressor?
They are very beneficial and efficient:
- If you want to make sure that your air compressor lasts for a long time, then it is very important that it has a closed tank. After the air goes through the machine, if it gets released into the atmosphere, then its quality will go down after some time. When this happens, you will have to spend more money on getting new tanks filled with pure and uncontaminated air. So, what is the solution? It is preferable that your unit comes with an extra tank so that you can switch them while one of them is being filled up again.
- The same problem occurs when there is no option of switching or changing tanks in an emergency situation like during working hours or at night. In such cases, it is best that you have an extra tank ready with some amount of air.
- 60-gallon air compressors are built to last for a long time and they are particularly ideal if you’re planning on starting up your own workshop or home shop. You can use them to power pneumatic equipment like nailers, staplers, sanders, and other kinds of equipment that function on compressed air. If you do not have any spare tanks available, then the only option left will be to run around looking for gas stations so that you can put more air into the running one before resuming work again.
Best 60 Gallon Air Compressors Models Reviewed
How To Choose The Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor?
60-gallon air compressors are particularly heavy and big in size. They also consume a lot of energy because they need to run continuously in order to produce enough power for different kinds of tools and equipment that operate on compressed air. So, you must choose the best compressor according to your requirement and preference:
- If you want it only for light use at home or in your office, then there is no need to spend too much money on such devices. It is better if you get a less powerful model, but its quality will definitely not be compromised.
- This type of machine comes with heavy-duty tanks that can hold enough amount of compressed air for many small machines like sanders or staplers; however; they are not suitable for larger tools like nailers.
- If you are planning on using your compressor for both light-duty work and heavy-duty stuff, then it is best that you get a model with an adjustable regulator. This will allow you to have more control over the power of compressed air being released. You can also use this unit for powering up different kinds of equipment without the need to change or upgrade your machine.
There are mainly two types of units that you can choose from, depending on the usage and preference:
- Single-Stage Compressors: These units have one piston which moves back and forth to compress air. This is very beneficial because it only requires a single motor for pumping air into the tank. The main disadvantage with this model is that it cannot pump up enough pressure to run machines like nailers or staplers. This means that you will always need another machine along with this compressor whenever you want to power these tools.
- Two-stage Compressor: These models come with two pistons inside the cylinder; however; they require more power to work properly but they are helpful in powering heavy equipment as well.
PSI stands for pounds per square inch while CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. It is very important that you know how much power your compressor can generate before buying one. 600 to 800 PSI should be enough to run nailers and staplers, while 2,000 to 3,000 PSI will be more than enough to power heavy tools like sanders and grinders.
Most of the 60-gallon air compressors come with a twin-cylinder pump that is powered by 3 HP or 5 HP motors. These models are expensive, but they can produce enough power for heavy-duty tools. A 6 ½ HP motor is even more powerful and you can get it if your requirement demands it.
Oil is necessary if you want the pump to function smoothly, but they are expensive and messy. On the other hand, oil-free units require a lot of power to start up properly which makes them unsuitable for low voltage circuits.
- Frequency or Duty Cycle: It is the measure of how much time the machine can work continuously without overheating and shutting down automatically to cool off. If you are looking forward to using your compressor for light duty stuff, then look for one that has a duty cycle of at least 30%. On the other hand, if it will be used mostly for powering up different kinds of tools, then it’s best if you buy one with a 50% duty cycle. The more powerful models usually come with higher ratings in this area.
- Starting Method: There are two types which include belt start and direct drive (this is very expensive). Belt starts can add extra costs to the overall price, but they are easy to maintain and fix in case anything goes wrong with them. Direct drive devices can produce more power because they don’t have any belts getting in your way, but these models are hard to find nowadays.
- Noise Level: Most people think that it is best if you get a less powerful compressor that makes less noise, but it is not true. Low-powered machines usually need fans for cooling which make even more noise than their high-powered counterparts. If you want an affordable model with excellent features and construction quality, then you must go for 60-gallon air compressors that use twin pistons or rotary screw technology. They are strong enough to run most tools available on the market today without making a lot of noise.